Tuesday, October 2, 2007

For you..A thousand times over


Dearest Khaled Hosseini,

I write this letter to you to thank for one the most soul touching and incredible work of fiction I have read in recent times. I had bought this book two days back from my office book store and two days after it I have finished reading it. The thing about this book that led me to read it in two days straight was not that it was thriller, or was literature rich book, but for the simple fact that my soul kept stirring, my eyes getting moist, my minds trying to picture the changing picture of Afghanistan, where I have never been.

All the characters that you depicted were just so realistic and in the end I just could not decide whether Amir, Hassan, Rahim, Suraya, General or Baba I liked the most but for sure I did like all of them as each of them in some parts of the story represented me, a human. One thing for sure, I did hate Assef from the beginning. Your writing made me hate him and in reality I am sure I do hate such people. The tears that moistened my eyes are a tribute to your writing because, I feel so different after reading this book, I feel that around the world there are people, children who suffer enormous and do not lose the humane personality and people like me whom the Almighty has granted most of my wishes and has not even given 1/20 of the pain of suffering that Sohrab or for that matter Hassan went through and yet happiness eludes me.

There is so much to write to you about the bonding that you showed between Hassan and Amir, Baba and Ali, Baba and Amir and all the other characters but when it come to writing I wish I had a small percent of your skill.

To me your work of fiction is more real than any current affair book I must have read in recent times.

In the end if somebody asks me would I recommend this book I would want to answer
" For your writing.. A thousand times over"

Tashakor,
Sajid

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see you back after a long time! Your post has left me drooling over the book...lol

BTW, I asked for it at the local library just last night and they had all there copies checked out.
Although, I asked them to put it on hold for me after reading about it here can't wait to get my hands on it!!

RansVoice said...

Sajid,wish I had 1/20 of your writing skill at least. Very well written.
No question about he beauty of the book and Mr. khaled Hosseini. The book has shaken me from inside as it did to you as well. The person who might not have any impact after reading this book must be a close friend of Asseff.

Sajid Azmi said...

Arhama: Thanks for stopping by commenting. Do let me know your views once you finish reading the book.


Ranan: Thanks a lot for the complement. It indeed is good book and I have already recommended to many people I know.

Miss Frangipani said...

I've just seen the movie and it was stunning.

One of the best I've seen - there was not a dry eye in the theatre.

Your review was really good.

Mumbaiwallah
http://mumbaiwallah.blogspot.com

Sajid Azmi said...

Hi mumbaiwallah,

Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I checked the review of the movie on your blog. I am waiting for it to come to theater near me.

You have a great blog !!

Sajid/-